Afternoon everyone and welcome to the last day of 2012! Another year has come and gone. To ring in the new year, I went to a kettle bell class yesterday and “swung in the new year”. 1000 swings! 20 per minute for 50 minutes using a 30-35lb bell. Not too bad. My goal was to swing 500 with a 16kg then go down to a 12kg. Goal achieved!
Being new years and all let me share with you briefly what I plan to achieve this coming year:
- Be able to do one full pull up
- Complete 10 full push-ups with ease
- Complete 10 single are push presses with 16 kg on my left side
- Meal plan to avoid excess dollars spent on food that will go bad
- Try 100 new, healthy vegan recipes
Mind & Soul:
- Reflect on each day by taking 10 minutes before bed to review what was good about the day and what I could improve on
- Slow down and enjoy the little things
- Avoid the word NO and go for last minute adventures
- Use Mint.com to keep track of finances
- Get a job within waste management engineering
- Save 10% of my income and go on a trip
Sounds like I’m going to be busy this year,…. and you all are going to enjoy the 100 new recipes!!!! I decided to make this a goal because well first I love cooking but secondly, I may be moving in May and I have a TON of dried ingredients in my cupboard that need to be used up before then.
Speaking of 100 recipes, today I made 2! (I know its the 31st and tomorrow is the new year but we will let that slide). On my list of ingredients to use up included poppy seeds and coconut milk. Below is a lemon poppy seed loaf which used up about 1/4 of my poppy seeds. The post to follow this includes a recipe for coconut milk cranberry scones, which used up 1 of my 3 cans of coconut milk. Both recipes turned out great and would HIGHLY RECOMMEND trying them out.
Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf (Vegan)
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Stevia sugar
- 1 cup golden brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1-2 tbsp lemon extract
- Juice from 2 lemons
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Grease a loaf pan with olive oil to prevent scones from sticking.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour,stevia, sugar, baking soda and salt. Mix till combined.
- Add water, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, almond and lemon extracts, lemon juice and poppy seeds to flour mixture. Combine until a cake batter forms.
- Pour mixture into loaf pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes.