If you have ever wondered how good your fitness level is, I would suggest participating in a cross-fit Helen drill. This morning in boot camp we did it…. twice…. just to see if we could beat our times. I was out of breath, nearly passing out, yet some how I managed to shave off 12 seconds from my first and second round! Who knew.
Ok so Helen drill consists of the following:
- 400 m sprint around a track
- 25 kettle bell swings (12 kg or heavier… I used a 20 kg)
- 25 push ups ( from the knees)
- without rest you will do another 400 m sprint
- 20 kettle bell swings (with the same bell)
- 20 push ups
- without rest you will do a final 400 m sprint
- 15 kettle bell swings (same bell)
- 15 push ups!
- Record your time!
Walk around the track….. get a 7 minute recovery…. Then repeat it all again for your second round.
Last month I did this in 9m 49s with a 16kg kettle bell.
Today I did round 1 in 9m 21s with a 20kg kettle bell and round 2 I did it in 9m 10s with a 20kg kettle bell.
This drill is amazing because if you put in all that you got, you will be able to see how much your fitness has improved over the period of a month.
My goal for December 2012 is sub 8 minutes! That’s a BIG goal but I think I can do it.
Below are some pictures of me doing the workout:
I think yoga tonight is a great reward for all the hard work I put in this morning!