Good morning everyone. I hope you all have had a great week and are ready for the long weekend. I know I sure am. I can’t believe its August already!!! Where did the time go??
Before I dive into a new recipe I made, I would like to summarize 3 things I have recently learned about being vegan and mistakes I have made that I am now fixing.
- Don’t go nuts for NUTS: These delicious nutrient dense foods are amazing for the body including your skin, muscles and blood. However the amount that your body needs is a lot less then the amount we usually consume. When transitioning to a vegan lifestyle watch your nut intake and carefully listen to your body as to not over do it.
- Green Smoothies over Salads: Everyone always assumes vegans eat nothing but salad and yes if your not creative, in order to get your daily green veggie intake you will need to eat a ton of salads. Why not through in greens with delicious fruit smoothies? You can barely taste the lettuce, spinach, kale, collards, swiss chard, beet greens. Doing this also cuts back on your daily oil intake. Raw fats are very important to vegans but very important dose not mean in high dosages. Sticking to green smoothies is the best way to get your whole foods nutrient intake into your body without excess oil.
- Load up in the morning and relax at night: Eat a lot of whole foods in the morning all they way up until 2pm. Then back off, have a light dinner of whole foods. Then let your digestive system relax. This is the best way for your body to naturally detox without starvation. In addition to detoxification you will find you sleep must better.
I find it is always best to take goals in strides. If it takes you an extra month or two to adopt a habit, oh well, its not like you have a deadline. Life keeps going on so take it slow, be consistent and don’t settle.
Onto the delicious food.
Borscht soup – all I can say is this was amazing, creamy and filling. A perfect way to end the day!
Makes: 3-4 servings Prep Time: 15-25 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 3 cups beets, diced
- 2 white potatoes, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup fresh dill (or 3 tbsp dried dill)
- 3-5 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp caraway
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- vegan sour cream & more dill for garnish
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Prepare vegetables as indicated above.
- In a large pot, heat oil on medium and stir in all vegetables. Cook for 5-10 minutes
- Add vegetable broth, bay leaves and caraway to the pot and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in fresh dill and vinegar. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.Transfer soup to a blender and puree.
- Return back to pot for an additional 5 minutes of heating.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and more fresh dill.