Happy weekend everyone!
I hope the weather has been as lovely for you as it has been for us over here in Ottawa. 30 Celsius with sun and a light breeze. I personally prefer 17 Celsius with sun but that is soon to come as fall is just around the corner.
I decided to make a vegan spinach dip with fresh veggies and a herb and cheese bread last night for dinner. I have included the spinach dip recipe below. The herb bread tasted amazing, however the photos didn’t turn out great. Next time I make it hopefully they will be worth while to post. Regardless, please enjoy this refreshing summer dip!
Iron Packed Spinach Dip
Makes: 2 cups Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 4 cups spinach, fresh
- 1 cup vegannaise
- 1 1/2 cups vegan sour cream
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 tbsp dried onion
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Steam your fresh spinach in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes. Once done, drain and cover with cold water. Cup up any vegetables you would like to dip in this dip while waiting for your spinach to cool. Alternatively you can us frozen spinach and simply thaw it before making this recipe.
- Once spinach has cooled, squeeze as much water as you can out of the leaves. The spinach should become mushy, this is good.
- Combine spinach and all other ingredients in a mixing bowl. Chill in refrigerator for 2 hours before serving. This recipe goes great with toasted french bread, homemade bread, bagels or fresh chopped vegetables.
To add to our iron intake, we also made a delicious grapefruit spinach salad. You could sub kale for the spinach to increase the nutritional value of the meal even more.
Pink Grapefruit Salad
Makes: 2 servings Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 3-4 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 grapefruit, sliced
- 3 tbsp pecans
- 3 tbsp dried apricots, chopped
- Juice from 1 grapefruit
- 2 tbsp flaxseed oil
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- sea salt
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth
- Toss dressing in with salad ingredients.
Its interesting how often people ask me how I get enough iron. I find it simple, with all the green smoothies and kale salads I eat.
What sneaky tricks do you have to get enough iron into your body on a daily basis? Leave a comment.