HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE! This week went by super fast with work and re-organizing my bedroom I was unable to squeeze in as many posts as I would have liked.
I share a house with 4 other girls; We have a living room, dinning room and kitchen that is shared but I would say 90% of my stuff is in my room. This means a tone of seasonal clothes, double size bed,roller blades, shoes, textbooks, stationary, vegan cook books, Luke’s guitar, computer printer, towels, bedding, candles, crafts stuff, photography equipment, etc. The room has been kept pretty organised but I have stepped it up a notch. Everything is coming together with the help of IKEA and my mom’s credit card :).
I did manage to make two yummy recipes this week, one inspired by Oh She Glows (http://ohsheglows.com/) and another inspired by a pinterest pin (http://karenknichols.blogspot.ca/2012/02/mason-jar-salads.html). Here are my versions of these recipes. Enjoy!
Quinoa Chickpea Vegetable Burgers
Makes: 10 burgers Prep-Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes per burger batch Inspired by: Oh She Glows – Spicy BBQ Chickpea Burgers
- 1 can cooked chickpeas, drained
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/4 purple onion, diced
- 3 small carrots, shredded
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (may be able to use panko bread crumbs instead)
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 2 tbsp ground unhulled sesame seeds
- Pink sea salt, add as much as desired
- Heat oven to 450F. Place sunflower seeds on cooking sheet. Once oven is ready, roast seeds for 10 minutes or until lightly browned
- Boil your vegetable broth in a large pot. Add quinoa and turn down to medium heat. Cook until quinoa is fluffy and soft.
- Prepare all vegetable as directed above. Pour into a big mixing bowl. Add ground flax, ground sesame seeds, BBQ sauce, breadcrumbs.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, blend chickpeas until smooth. You may need to add a little water. You want this mixture to have the same consistency as hummus. Add the chickpeas to your vegetable mixture when done.
- Combine all remaining ingredients including roasted sunflower seeds and quinoa to vegetable-chickpea mixture. If mixture is not sticking together, add more bread crumbs if too sticky or some water if too dry.
- Form mixture into 1 cup patties. Heat some oil (or spray pam) in a large frying pan. Add burger patties. Cook for 5 minutes on medium- high heat then flip and cook on other side for an additional 5 minutes. Depending on how big your frying pan is, you may need to do several batches of burgers.
- Serve as is or with a whole wheat bun, lettuce, tomatoes, vegannaise, ketchup, etc.
Salad To-Go – Quinoa Orange Salad with Sweet Tahini Dressing
Servings: 1 Prep-Time: 20 mins max
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 orange, chopped
- 2 handfuls spinach, chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp agave
- 1 tbsp water, or more if needed
- 2 tsp flax oil
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- Dressing- Combine all ingredients into a blender. Blend for 30 seconds or until uniform
- Salad- Using a 1L Maison jar, pour your dressing into the bottom of the jar. Pour your quinoa on top of the dressing. Next place your chopped orange slices. Finally pour in your herbs and spinach. Close with Maison jar lid. When ready to eat, pour jars contents into a big bowl, toss then eat.